Public health nursing and education programme: standards and requirements
These standards and requirements from the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (NMBI), formerly An Bord Altranais, set out the educational standards and requirements for public health nursing post-registration education programmes.
These are designed to provide guidance to education providers and health care institutions involved in the education of nurses in relation to the development, delivery and evaluation of public health nurse programmes.
The minimum academic standard for the programme shall be no less than higher diploma level, Level 8 on the National Framework of Qualifications. Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) may determine a higher academic level where appropriate.
The document outlines:
- Minimum entry requirements.
- Learning outcomes.
- Competences for entry to the register.
- Syllabus / indicative content.
- Theoretical and clinical instruction.
- Theoretical and clinical instruction for students who are not registered midwives.
- NMBI’s approval process for the public health nursing educational programme.
Public Health Nursing Education Programmes: Standards and Requirements
(PDF, 0.84 MB)