HomeRegistration Working Outside Ireland
View Menu
Close Menu
HomeRegistration Working Outside Ireland

Registering to practise in another country

To practise outside of Ireland as a nurse or midwife, you will need to register with what is called the 'competent authority' in that country. This is the organisation within each country which is responsible for registering nurses and midwives.

In Ireland, the competent authority is the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (NMBI). The competent authority may ask for a Certificate of Current Professional Status (CCPS), which can also be referred to as verification of registration.

Requesting a CCPS

If you are registered with NMBI and you wish to work in another country, you will need to complete the Verification (CCPS) Form and pay the fee.   We will then send a CCPS to the competent authority on your behalf. If you have active registration, you must log into the site through the My Account section to access the form and pay the fee online.

If your registration status is ‘inactive’ or ‘unregistered’, you cannot request a CCPS online. You must complete the Credit Card Mandate - CCPS Form.


Information included in our CCPS

We will share the following information about you with the competent authority:

  • Name.
  • Postal address.
  • Date of birth.
  • Date of initial registration with NMBI.
  • Current registration status.
  • Division(s) you hold registration in.
  • Registration expiry date.
  • Details of your education institution and dates of study (if you trained in Ireland).
  • Current fitness to practise restrictions / conditions.

In relation to the Fitness to Practise information, this means that if you have restrictions or conditions attached to your registration, or if you are in the process of having a complaint reviewed by the Fitness to Practise department, we will include this information on your CCPS. If this is the case, we will request your permission before we send the CCPS.

If your training meets Directive 2005/36/EC, the CCPS we issue will also confirm this.

Subscribe to our eZine

Receive our monthly newsletter with news and other content relevant to the Irish nursing and midwifery professions.