What is the G1, G2 and G3 classification?
We classify our applicants into the following three groups:
G1 (Directive applicants): Applications are classified under the EU automatic recognition pathway which has been provided for European Union Directive applicants who qualified in the EU. G1 applications undergo an administrative assessment only.
G2 (Directive applicants): Applications are classified under the general systems pathway. G2 applications undergo both administrative and qualification assessments.
G3 (non-Directive applicants): These applications are not regulated by the EU Directive. G3 applications undergo both administrative and qualification assessments.
Why is it important to know which type of applicant you are?
- It determines the documents you will be required to submit when applying for qualifications recognition.
- The classification based on an EU Directive on the recognition of professional qualifications (2005/36/EC) clearly defines the level of assessment an application can undergo and the processing timelines once all documents are submitted.
How can I identify which group applies to me?
NMBI has developed a tool that will give you a quick answer to this question. All you need to do is log into MyNMBI and answer a few questions. Please note that at this stage you are not required to pay any fees.
After you answer the questions you will know:
- If you are eligible to apply for qualifications recognition in Ireland
- If you are a G1, G2 or G3 Applicant
- The documents you need to submit
All you need to do is Log into MyNMBI, select Registration Services and then Overseas Recognition. By the end of Step 2 you will be informed as to the route that your application will follow.
For more information on the overseas qualification recognition and registration processes, please read our Applicant Guide.