Certifying Documents and Sourcing Translated Documents for Application Process
The Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (NMBI) requires overseas applicants to provide certified copies of certain documents and to provide certified English translated versions of documents.
The documents which must be certified as copies of the original are:
- Proof of identity to include:
- Current passport or national identity card;
- Evidence of change of name e.g. marriage certificate, birth certificate, deed poll;
- Evidence of Qualifications to include:
- Qualification Parchment
- Qualification Transcript
- Diploma Supplement
- Evidence of current professional registration or licensing (registration certificate)
- Certified translations of documents (if applicable)
A certified copy is a photocopy of the document which has been certified by an appropriate authority. The certified copy must be a first-generation copy - that’s a photocopy of the original document, not a photocopy of a photocopy or a fax. It is important that you certify documents correctly. Not doing so will delay how quickly NMBI can process your application.
To get a certified copy of your document, you must bring your original document(s) to one of the
certifying authorities listed below:
- Solicitor or Lawyer
- Notary public
- Peace Commissioner
- Justice of the Peace
- Commissioner for Oaths
- Post Office, United Kingdom only
It should be noted that the certifying authority must confirm they have seen the original document.
They must state their full name and profession and stamp, sign and date the photocopy of the document.
Translation of documents
NMBI will need a certified English translation of any document which is not written in English.
The translation must be:
- Carried out by a qualified translator
- Signed and stamped by the translator
The translator must confirm, in the English language, that the translation is an exact translation of the original document. The translation must be in writing and must include the translator’s professional contact details (telephone, address and email address).