Qualified outside Ireland
Applying for registration in one or more divisions of the Register
Nurses and midwives who practise in Ireland must be registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (NMBI).
This section includes important information for nurses and midwives who qualified outside Ireland and who are seeking registration with NMBI.
To practise nursing or midwifery in Ireland, you will need to complete two processes:
- Recognition of qualifications – this involves the comparison of your qualifications with the Irish education standards and requirements.
Before you commence the application process, please:
- Read our Applicant Guide, which can be downloaded below this page, and information in this section of the website
- Understand NMBI’s application process
Advice for all applicants:
As the outcome of the application process cannot be predicted, NMBI strongly advises that you:
1. do not to move to Ireland, or leave your current employment, based on the expectation that your application for registration will be successful. Please wait until you receive a registration decision before making any travel or employment plans,
2. do not to apply for nursing or midwifery positions until you have received a registration decision. We cannot fast-track applications based on offers of employment, as this would be unfair to other applicants.
Applying for qualification recognition in a division
In order to apply for qualifications recognition in a division of the Register you must have completed a qualification that meets the standards and requirements for that division. For example, if you qualified as a general nurse and want to be registered as a general nurse with NMBI, you are eligible to apply for qualifications recognition.
However, if you qualified as a general nurse only and have gained considerable experience working as a children’s nurse in another country, your qualifications will not be eligible for recognition as a children’s nurse. You would need to have completed an appropriate qualifications as a children’s nurse that meets the NMBI’s standards and requirements before NMBI can consider your application for registration in this division.
If you want to apply for qualifications recognition in a specific division of the Register, and your training for that division was completed after your initial training as a nurse or midwife, there are some specific qualifications recognition requirements. For example, NMBI will need to consider your initial registration as a general nurse or midwife first before we consider an application for registration in another division. This will happen when your application is being assessed.
We classify our applicants into three groups (G1, G2 and G3). Each group has is requested to submit different documents and is assessed differently.
For more information on the overseas qualification recognition and registration processes, please read out Applicant Guide.