Prescriptive authority: practice standards and guidelines
This document was published by An Bord Altranais, now the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (NMBI), and addresses the professional responsibilities of nurses and midwives for their prescribing practices. These standards and guidelines for prescribing medicines should be viewed as the overarching mechanism with which a nurse/midwife is expected to practice.
The document details the following 11 practice standards:
- Clinical decision-making process
- Communication and history taking
- Prescription writing
- Prescribing for self, family and significant others
- Repeat prescribing
- Prescribing of unauthorised and off-label medications
- Prescribing by means of verbal/telephone, email or fax
- Separation of responsibilities in the medication management cycle
- Influence of outside interests (relationships with pharmaceutical representation or similar organisations)
- Continuing professional development and continued competency.
Practice Standards and Guidelines for Nurses and Midwives with Prescriptive Authority (4th Edition)
(PDF, 356 KB)