Working with older people: nursing guidance
Registered nurses care for older people in a variety of settings – acute hospitals, long-term care facilities and in the community. With our ageing population, and increased life expectancy, Irish registered nurses can expect to provide care for increasing numbers of older people.
This NMBI publication aims to define the standard of nursing care to be expected by all older people, their family and informal carers who are in receipt of nursing care in various settings.
The guidance is designed to:
- Facilitate safe, competent and ethical nursing practice.
- Provide a nursing framework for end of life care.
- Assist the decision-making and self-assessment as part of reflective practice.
- Determine what knowledge and skills are required to provide quality care.
- Promote ongoing practice development.
The guidance is designed to form the basis for the development of local protocols and policies specific to the various contexts of practice. It also aims to promote continuous quality improvement through regular monitoring and evaluation.
Working with Older People: Professional guidance
(PDF, 1.94 MB)