Applying as a mature applicant
Mature applicants must be 23 years of age or over by 1 January 2024 to be considered for a place in an undergraduate education programme leading to an honours degree in nursing and midwifery.
You must have a valid Central Applications Office (CAO) application number and must be successful in the three assessment tests outlined below.
Due to the number of places available on the programmes, success at the assessment tests does not guarantee an offer of a place and the results may not be carried forward to a future year (unless a deferred entry has been granted by an education body). You must apply independently for the mature applicant's assessment tests via a link on the NMBI website in addition to your application to the CAO.
The application process
- Step 1: Complete an application to the CAO
- Step 2: Using a valid CAO number, register for the assessment tests
- Step 3: Complete the suite of assessment tests within the timeframe.
The assessment tests
The tests will be delivered remotely online. This allows you to take them at your preferred location and time.
The current assessment comprises of three separate tests:
- verbal reasoning (also called understanding of basic instructions)
- job simulation
To pass, applicants must reach a minimum score on each assessment test. Please note that the minimum score for each test will not be decided until the results of all the assessment tests have been analysed.
Information for mature applicants 2024
Information about the 2024 mature applicant tests and application forms will be available by the end of January 2024 via the NMBI website.
- Applications and registration will open in April 2024.
- Tests will take place online in May 2024.
- Results will be provided in June/July 2024.