Registration Department maintains Register of Nurses and Midwives
The Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (NMBI), formerly An Bord Altranais, carries out the following functions:
- Establishes and maintains a Register of Nurses and Midwives.
- Publishes the Register of Nurses and Midwives at a time and manner as the Minister for Health may direct.
- Issues certificates of registration.
- Records in the register every person who satisfies the Board that she or he complies with the prescribed conditions for registration.
- Refuses to register the name of any person who is otherwise entitled to be registered on the grounds of the unfitness of that person to engage in the practice of nursing or midwifery. Such a decision of the Board may be appealed by the person concerned to the High Court.
- Takes such steps as it considers necessary from time-to-time to ensure the accuracy of the Register of Nurses and Midwives.
On an annual basis, NMBI collects statistical information derived from the Register of Nurses and Midwives. Requests for statistical information can be made online to NMBI.