Public consultation on the draft proposed amendments to the Nurses and Midwives Standards and Requirements (2016) used for approving and monitoring education bodies and programmes
The Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (NMBI) requests feedback on proposed amendments to the Nurses and Midwives Standards and Requirements (2016) used for approving and monitoring education bodies (Higher Education Institutes) and programmes.
We intend to implement a digitised records management system and consequently are reviewing our standards and requirements. We are holding a public consultation to give you an opportunity to identify the key areas that should be captured in a digitised system, the reports we should generate and what we should publish on our website following the review of a programme of study, a Higher Education Institute (HEI) or a site where education is provided.
We will carefully assess all feedback received and use it, along with other available evidence, to develop our final recommendations for the new digital education system.
How will your comments be used?
Your submissions will be used to inform our work and the development of the new digital education databases for the processes that will support the approval and monitoring of HEIs and programmes for pre first-time registration, post-registration leading to registration and specialist nursing and midwifery education and training.
Our approval process consists of four parts:
- Approval of the education programme(s)
- Approval of the HEI
- Approval of Associated Health Care Providers (AHCPs)
- Monitoring of adherence to standards. Review of HEIs annual reports.
We invite you to read the accompanying proposed documents before submitting your feedback through our consultation survey:
- Section 3 - Nursing Standards for the Approval of HEIs, AHCPs, Programmes Leading to Registration and Specialist Programmes not Leading to Registration - Appendix A
- Section 3 - Midwifery Standards for the Approval of HEIs, AHCPs, Programmes Leading to Registration and Specialist Programmes Not Leading to Registration - Appendix B
- Monitoring HEIs Annual Reports for Programmes - Appendix C (C1 - Nursing and C2 - Midwifery)
- NMBI HEI Site Inspection Audit Tool – Appendix D (D1 - Nursing and D2 - Midwifery)
- NMBI AHCP Site Inspection Audit Tool - Appendix E (E1 - Nursing and E2 - Midwifery)
- HEI Site Inspection Summary Report - Appendix F (F1 - Nursing and F2 - Midwifery)
- AHCP Site Inspection Summary Report - Appendix G (Nursing and Midwifery)
Along with the proposed amendments referred to above, we invite you to review the explanatory notes listed below which are covered off in the preamble to the questions in our survey:
- Explanatory notes for Nurses (section 3 Standards and Requirements 2016)
- Explanatory notes for Midwives (section 3 Standards and Requirements 2016)
- Explanatory notes for Nurses and Midwives (Annual Report Requirements)
- Explanatory notes for Nurses and Midwives (HEI Site Inspection approval)
- Explanatory notes for Nurses and Midwives (AHCP Site Inspection approval)
- Explanatory notes for Nurses and Midwives (HEI Site Inspection Summary Report)
- Explanatory notes for Nurses and Midwives (AHCP Site Inspection Summary Report)
We would really appreciate your views.
The closing date for the consultation is Monday, 23 November 2020 at 5:00 pm.
If you have any questions please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org