Advanced Practice (Nursing) & Advanced Practice (Midwifery)
The Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (NMBI) is engaged in a project to develop Advanced Practice standards and requirements. A team known as Working Group Advanced Practice (WGAP) was established to assist NMBI with expert representation from a number of different key stakeholders.
Current information about advanced practice is published is within the Registration section of this website.
The methodology included:
• An extensive review of the literature
• Consultation through online surveys, promoted through the NMBI website and the eZine
• Facilitating eight focus groups, which contributed to an interim report.
Standards and Requirements Advanced Practice (Nursing) and Standards and Requirements Advanced Practice (Midwifery), based on an interim report WGAP 2014 (PDF, 0.83 MB) are due for publication later in 2016.
In advance of this, NMBI has made a number of changes:
- A new interim revalidation process has been established
- All advanced practice forms have been reviewed and updated. They are available for by logging into the My Account section
- Updated guidelines for advanced practice portfolios
- Updated information was produced in relation to advance practice posts which is published in our Advanced Practice section
April 2016 update
Please find below an update on Advanced Practice Literature, a review carried out by Professor Marie Carney on behalf of NMBI.
Advanced Practice Literature Review
(PDF, 2.83 MB)
If you have a query regarding any aspect of this project, please email: AdvancedPractice@NMBI.ie.