Group 3: trained outside EU/EEA
If you trained outside the EU or the EEA you are a Group 3 applicant. To be eligible to apply for registration to the Register, you must:
- Hold a current registration, or licence without restriction, with the competent authority in the country in which you qualified or have been practising
- If you completed your nurse/midwifery Registration education programme more than five years prior to the date of application, you must have practiced for at least 12 months during that five year period.
- Meet our English language competence requirements
- Have completed extra courses leading to registration as a first level nurse, if you hold the following qualifications:
- State enrolled nurse
- State certified nurse
- Licensed practical nurse
- Vocational nurse
- Nurse’s aide, and
- An associate degree (United States)
NMBI will carry out a full education assessment on your application for registration. If you trained in a particular division of a Register in another country, then we will evaluate your training against NMBI’s requirements and standards for that division.
English language competence
From 2 April 2018, applicants for registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland who have qualifications from outside of Ireland must now satisfy the Board that they have the necessary knowledge of English to communicate effectively in their practice. Find out how you can meet NMBI's English language requirements.