Short/online courses and NMBI’s approval process
The Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (NMBI) approves education courses for registered nurses and midwives.
Many CPD courses, which are usually short courses or online courses, are awarded Continuing Education Unit (CEUs) on completion.
Submitting courses for approval
Please click here for the CPD Short Courses/Online Courses form
Please click here for the Conference/seminars/symposiums/summit/annual meetings form
If you are seeking Category 1 Approval for CPD/ short course/online course/study day, it will be necessary for you to complete the application form ‘CPD Short Courses/Online Courses’.
If you are seeking Category 1 Approval for a conference, seminar or meeting, it will be necessary for you to complete the application form 'Conference/Seminars/Symposiums/Summit/Annual Meetings'.
Please submit your completed application form to firstname.lastname@example.org
The completed application form should be submitted a minimum of six weeks prior to the commencement of the course of event you are planning.
Guidelines on course submission and approval
- All sections of the application form must be completed.
- We can only accept applications in typed format, hand written submissions will not be accepted.
- Approval is valid for two years.
- Conferences/seminars/symposiums/summits/annual meetings will be reviewed, approved and awarded CEUs for the event.
- NMBI does not grant retrospective approval for any course, conference, seminar or similar short educational event.
- NMBI does not support or endorse any pharmaceutical products/companies that are funding or providing nurse/midwife education.
- You, as course provider, are advised that your contact details may be posted on our website.
- It is the responsibility of the course provider to issue certificates of attendance.
- Allocation of CEUs, based on the timetable provided, is at the discretion of the Chief Education Officer.
- CEU points are only allocated to registered nurses and registered midwives.
- Approved courses must carry the disclaimer below on any marketing materials (website, newsletters, flyers etc).
NMBI approve CPD (short or online) courses and may allocate a number of Continuing Education Units (CEUs) for courses, as appropriate. This approval is based on the information provided by the applicant.
NMBI does not take responsibility for the quality of the content at the point of delivery/ implementation. It is the responsibility of the course providers to ensure that academic governance and standards are reflective of NMBI requirements for their courses, in accordance with the organisation’s policies and procedures which underpin evidence based practice.