Why choose a career in nursing?
You should consider nursing if:
- you like helping others.
- you want to make a difference in a career that offers variety and choice.
- you want a career that is challenging and rewarding.
As a nurse, you will work in an environment that supports learning. You will be given opportunities to specialise and learn additional skills in caring and communicating effectively with people who have different health issues.
Real job satisfaction
Nursing is a career that gives you real job satisfaction because you will be helping others. Nurses have the knowledge and skills to make a real difference to people’s lives.
Meeting new people with different problems and illnesses can be challenging. However, nurses who make an effort are rewarded by people’s responses. Having a career where you use your knowledge and skills to relieve a person’s suffering is very fulfilling.
Nurses have many career choices. Whether you choose caring for children in hospital or helping older people stay independent in the community, nursing provides options and opportunities. You can learn to courageously enhance the quality of life of other people. And you can enjoy your work knowing you can truly enhance someone else’s life.
What nursing offers
Nursing also enables you to:
- Perfect your communication and caregiving skills.
- Learn new skills.
- Avail of different career opportunities such as health promotion, working in a GP practice or a public health opportunity, and even teaching or management.
- Travel and work abroad.
- Avail of flexible working hours.
Questions to ask yourself
If you can answer "yes" to the following questions, you may have the attribute of a nurse:
- Are you a good listener?
- Do you like meeting new people?
- Do you like helping others?
- Do you want to make a difference to society by caring for people?
- Are you energetic?
- Are you interested in gaining new knowledge and skills?
- Are you interested in knowing more about why people become unwell?
- Would you like to assist people stay healthy and live independent lives?
- Are you a good communicator?
- Are you approachable?
- Are you a caring person?